[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Sun Mar 21 01:41:02 PDT 2010

Or anyone who has an issue with it can close their account and
blatantly violate this policy.

This raises a question: has the TOS been updated to contain words to
the effect of "you agree to be bound by the TPV"? If not, any
developers may simply reject the policy

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 09:21:25AM -0700, Joe Linden wrote:
>> The updated version of the Third Party Viewer Policy was posted here about a
>> week ago:
>> http://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php
>
> That says that if a developer changes the code and distributes it,
> you reserve the right to pursue any and all legal and equitable remedies:
>
> 3 a. If you are a [...] Developer of Third-Party Viewers, you must not:
>  [...] design Third-Party Viewers to [...]
>
> If we believe you are or have been associated with activities that violate
> this paragraph, either within or outside of Second Life, we may take any
> enforcement action we deem appropriate [...] and pursuit of all legal and
> equitable remedies.
>
> 7 d. You (Developer of Third-Party Viewers) assume all risks, expenses, and
>     defects of any Third-Party Viewers that you [use,] develop, or(!) distribute.
>
> This is not compatible with the GPL.
> Therefore, anyone who contributed to the GPL-ed code has a case
> if they want to retract their contribution.
>
> --
> Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow