[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Tayra Dagostino tayra.dagostino at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:04:58 PDT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:29:57 +0800
"Boy Lane" <boy.lane at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tayra, in all respect, but you need to read the policy before posting
> a comment about it.
>
> There are at least 2 major violations against GPL in TPV, independent
> if I want to develop or use any 3rd party viewer to connect to
> SecondLife or not. And I pointed them out in my previous mail.
>
> "You [the developer] assume all risks, expenses, and defects of any
> Third-Party Viewers that you use, develop, or distribute"
> "You [the developer] acknowledge and agree that we may require you to
> stop using or distributing a Third-Party Viewer"

maybe we cannot sync.... this isn't a restriction against development
based on GPL, is a restriction against ability to connect LL grid with
a 3rd party viewer...

most known viewer is GPL, but if i write from scratch a new viewer
under "tayra license" something change? no.... TPV is a suite of rules
to connect a viewer to LL grid, i continue to don't see restriction to
your coding freedom....

opposite, you are free to not acknoledge TPV, you continue to write
your GPL viewer and connect it to another grid... what changed if TPV
will merged in TOS?

imho here there are too much noise against something not so big...

LL is a company, you can write a GPL viewer, and YOU are responsible of
it in front of LL... what happen if you write a viewer GPL with copybot
features and distribute it?
i see in TPV a way to protect developers and resident, but maybe i'm
less paranoid than you...