[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sun Mar 21 09:47:44 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 03:15:32PM +0100, Tayra Dagostino wrote:

> GPL is about source of viewer, and is accomplished
>
> TPV is a part of term of use for external developer, you can use source
> in GPL way without any restriction, but if you want connect your viewer
> to LL grid (LL isn't a software, is a real company) there are some
> rules, nobody disallow you to modify, patch or distribute a
> fork/modified viewer in GPL license.
>
> TPV is a restriction for LL grid and services, not about sources

Then it should say "You, the user, ..".

Refering to developer implies that even if the developer is
NOT a user, paragraphs still apply - and since when the developer
is not a user of SL LL can't ban them or whatever, the only
thing that remains is the treat to use legal measures.

A developer who writes code that doesn't comply with this TPV policy
cannot be prosecuted. It's as simple as that. If a USER abuses the
SL services in any way, then I suppose that in the case there are
RL loses (ie, in case of a DoS attack) that legal action makes
sense, but that has nothing to do with the developer of whatever
application is being used.

The word "developer" can easily be removed from the TPV policy,
because I don't see a single place where it isn't either incompatible
with the GPL or is redundant anyway.

Again: the use of the word "developer" clearly implies that this
person does NOT use or connect SL.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>