[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Latif Khalifa latifer at streamgrid.net
Sun Mar 21 22:47:33 PDT 2010

While I understand the motivation behind the TPV policy, there are
still issues with it that go beyond it's the stated goals.

The problems range from silly micromanagement (section 1.g mandates
where to put your viewer version numbers), to far more serious issues
in section 7. Again, I do understand that Linden Lab does not want to
be liable for the behavior of a TPV, but as any software maker in the
world, the Linden ToS (see ToS section 5.5 and 5.6) disclaims
liability to any damages the regular stock viewer might cause to users
computer.

Now contrast that to TPV policy section 7, specifically 1.a and 1.d.
"If you are a Developer, you are responsible for all features,
functionality, code, and content of Third-Party Viewers that you
develop or distribute."

I, as a developer of one such 3rd party client feel that it is unfair
to be subjected to harsher conditions that Linden devs themselves. I
guess a lot of sentiment in this thread stems from similar feelings.

I'm still hoping that it will be possible to change section 7 of the
policy to say what its intent probably was "LL shall not be held
responsible if your kitten dies as a result of using TPV", and avoid
overzealous language that puts legal burden squarely on the shoulders
of TPV devs.