[opensource-dev] Wiki posting: Open Source Repository Strategy

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 07:43:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Kent Quirk (Q Linden) <q at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> The merge to Snowglobe isn't automatic -- it probably requires intelligent
> merging. So if that includes leaving things out, so be it. The right way to
> do it will probably be to undo the changesets so that it doesn't become a
> fork that requires constant maintenance.

Merov specificaly talked about this point at last Thursdays snowglobe
meeting. Although we were running short of time and there may be need
for some fine details. The consensus of those present was to manually
merge from vendor branch about once a week. A manual merge is probably
vital here as snowglobe will be adding its own features and fixes and
any of these could be damaged by incomming code based of a slightly
different code base. Hopefully a great deal of snowglobe patches will
make there way back to the main viewer code anyway and this type of
conflict will not happen too often. The other thing Merov said is if a
vendor imported patch breaks/conflicts with snowglobe then just revert
that patch and flag up the situation. The final idea was the help of a
"merge monkey" someone who could assist with the merging from vendor
to snowglobe so that its not always merov, this could be multiple
people taking it in turns etc, this was all up in the air and just
ideas banded around at the meeting.

Robin