[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Mon Mar 22 08:51:03 PDT 2010

Um yes... I cannot agree with this TPV (I explicitely don't).
What we need is it to be either changed, or have a real
lawyer look at it and explain the ramifications.

What it says now is pretty clear to me: if I contribute
to some GPL-ed third party viewer and later someone else
uses it to connect to SL, while in the meantime LL has
changed the TPV policy such that the viewer is now in
violation with it, then the FBI will be knocking on
my door to cash-in $1000,000 of damages.

At least that would be possible with the current wording.
Ban me if you have to, but I don't agree with it. If ever
I had to click "yes I agree" in order to connect, then
sure as hell I won't. I will change the viewer code and
remove that agreement (as is allowed per the GPL), then I
will recompile and reconnect WITHOUT agreeing. Breaking
the TPV policy, but at least I won't have agreed with it.

Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>