[opensource-dev] 32 bit Official viewer 2 beta, Snowglobe binary (rev 3229) does't run 'out of the box'

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:29:26 PDT 2010

For awhile, I was able to download the Snowglobe binary and run it on my
Debian Lenny system. Now this didn't work with the latest Official
release binary and snowglobe binary.

Actually, it's the included 32 bit libraries themselves that cause a
problem which gives an assertion failure when started. It's either libc6
or libopenal, or maybe another. (not easy to pinpoint without full trace)

If I run the binary distribution on Debian Sid, it starts fine with no
binary release. However, it's not practical to require us to use Debian
Sid to run a binary, as that means the release has inherited
'unstable'-ness.

My guess is someone must have re-compiled the 32 bit libs under Sid
instead of under Lenny (or Etch). That would then have mess up the
dependencies and cause the assertion failure above.

Debian Sid did recently upgrade it's libc6 (and c++ versions) from 4.3
to 4.4.

Can LL please fix/double-check the 32 bit libs (linked and dso) of the
32 bit Official viewer 2 beta and Snowglobe binaries, so that they work
under 32 bit Lenny without assertion failures.