[opensource-dev] Open Development project: extending avatar wearables

Nyx Linden nyx at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 22 10:45:58 PDT 2010

Greetings Opensource-dev!

    This tiny robot is going to be working over the next few weeks to
begin working on the next iteration of avatar features, and needs your help!
We're hoping to continue our overhaul of how you manage your appearance.
Since we're shooting for moving towards quarterly releases, there's a
lot of work to be done!

I'll be setting up a sub-form for collaboration and discussion of
designs, as well as working on cleaning up some initial design concepts
for how the user interface will be presented - I'll follow up on this
list with links to the documents when they're online.

Some of the features we want to implement:
1) A new panel to edit what is stored in your saved outfit without
creating a new one.
    This will include both an inventory view and a view of your outfit
itself, so you can drag items from your inventory to your outfit without
having an extra floater open
2) Editing of wearable items (body parts and/or clothing objects) in the
sidebar, selectable from the outfit editor
3) Removal of the appearance floater
4) Order-specific outfits with the ability to re-order wearables as desired
5) Ability to wear multiple wearables of the same type (multiple shirts,
multiple jackets and yes, multiple alpha masks!).

I look forward to working with everyone and getting a lot of feedback
throughout the development process. I'll be releasing a lot more
detailed information as I can get it formatted and out the door. There
are just a handful of things to keep in mind.

First, this is still a featureset developed by Linden Lab, which has a
few implications. If there is a dispute, we will hold final say on what
goes into the client we ship. There will not always be perfect consensus
on every decision made, but I will try to be more transparent about what
decisions we make and why, where appropriate. Also, since the code for
this feature will be in the main second-life viewer, we do still require
a signed CLA before we can integrate your patches into our codebase.

Second, I ask that we all do what we can to keep the discussion civil
and collaborative. The tiny robot cloning machine still isn't working
right yet, so there is only one of me and I'll make the time to
collaborate with everyone who wants to help with creating a more robust
featureset that will ship in the time we have to develop it. Posts for
ideas that we don't have the time or resource to implement, rants, or
non-constructive feedback will receive significantly less attention.

Once the forums are up, I'll post there with details of what
infrastructure is currently in place, what our initial designs are, and
how best to give feedback. Once we get our new branch structure in
place, I'll be doing all of my checkins in the open and will be pulling
in community contributions on a regular basis. I look forward to working
with the community on this project and providing a positive examples to
encourage other internal projects to work more directly with the community!

 -Nyx