[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Jesse Barnett jessesa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 21:26:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Joe Linden <joe at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> I've seen some very dramatic "exits" from the SL open source program here
> in this thread by people who have never contributed.  We're making a number
> of changes to the practice and policy of what we will permit to connect to
> our grid so we can invest in a richer conversation with the contributors who
> are interested in innovating in this space with us.   The decision to work
> with us as we redouble our efforts to create a more meaningful program is
> one each contributor will have to make.  But, we're committed to moving
> forward with those who are willing to accept a reasonable level of
> responsibility for what they create.  That's what the TPV Policy and Viewer
> Directory programs are about.
>
> The code is licensed under GPLv2 and that isn't going to change.
>
> This thread has become a zero sum game for all participants, so I look
> forward to more generative conversation with those of you who are sticking
> around for the next one.
>
> -- joe
>
> p.s. I have a suspicion this reply will be parsed to the same degree all
> other responses have been, but I'm not going to recurse on the subject, and
> I'm not going to make excuses.  Please keep the conversation here civil for
> everyone.

Just a friendly reminder that we also expect the same level of
professionalism and civility from the Lindens on the list. Marine, Rob and
Boy have all contributed to the OS program and their further contributions
are going to be sorely missed by the community, so what "departures" are you
referring to? I have not contributed in a loooong time. All of my
contributions were in Aditi for two years with QA before the jira was even
around and the first couple of months in OSDev when Rob started here. But
take a hard look at the other names here, I see one heck of a lot of names
from people that have made significant contributions to the program.
Evidently they do not feel like you that this is a meaningless "zero sum
game". None of us would be here unless we cared deeply for the OS movement
and wish to ensure that it does continue without being over restrained.

None of us receive a paycheck for what we are doing. There is no spare money
to hire a lawyer for the majority. As you yourself pointed out, the GPL is
clearly written and easy to understand, the same can not be said for the TPV
or we would not be having this conversation.

with regards,
Jesse Barnett