[opensource-dev] A note on preserving "NO WARRANTY" for SL TPV developers

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Tue Mar 30 01:00:19 PDT 2010

It would be wise to stay on the side of caution and presume anyone who
distributes the viewer is liable, even if they are not the ones who
introduced the original defects.
Even with that being said though, personally I would never dream of
giving away software free of charge if it includes a warranty - that's
basically infinite liability with something GPLed, as every single
person who obtains the software could in theory sue you.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Marine Kelley <marinekelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the heads up Morgaine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if
> the "no warranty" clause vanishes from the source code, then does that
> mean that LL guarantees that the code of the original viewer is bug-
> free ? We can't guarantee it as open source programmers if the
> original devs don't in the first place, and they can't expect us to
> remove it ourselves afterwards, so who is liable for the original
> defects if a law suit was started because of an exploit ?

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow