[opensource-dev] Warning on latest TOS (was Re: A note on preserving "NO WARRANTY" for SL TPV developers)

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Wed Mar 31 12:11:54 PDT 2010

WARNING

Don't login and accept the latest TOS:

Any access to or use of the Service through a software client other
than the Linden Software that logs into the Servers (referred to as a
"Third-Party Viewer") is subject to these Terms of Service and the
terms of the Policy on Third-Party Viewers. The Policy on Third-Party
Viewers provides required and prohibited functionality for Third-Party
Viewers as well as other terms for those who use, develop, or
distribute Third-Party Viewers; however, Linden Lab offers and
supports the Service only as offered by Linden Lab and is not
obligated to allow access to or use of the Service by any software or
means not provided by Linden Lab. You understand and agree that Linden
Lab is not responsible or liable for any aspect of the Service that is
accessed or experienced using software or other means not provided by
Linden Lab.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Ron Festa <overdrive at dceo.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Actually a TPV is GPL code. The core of the viewer and all additions to the
> code are subject to the GPLv2. Your comment in that regards doesn't make
> much sense. The TPV Policy is about what can and can't connect the the grids
> owned and operated by Linden Lab, more so then in-world content as we can
> all agree that the sections on Prohibited Features and IP Rights are No
> Brainer clauses all of us for the most part respect. Also I don't understand
> what you mean by uploading broken content.
> The problem those of us who contribute to TPV's (I contributed to Meerkat
> and now Imprudence if you wanted to dispute whether or not I actually
> contribute anything) is basically what was summarized by the Imprudence
> Viewer team: http://bit.ly/d2KxvI . If we agree with the TPVP we pretty much
> have to alter our TPV at the Lindens' whims for whatever reason they can
> find. Also if some black hat alters for example Imprudence's or Emerald's
> Import/Export feature to ignore ownership the developer team can be held
> legally responsible because even though the Import/Export feature was
> altered, it was still their code at the core and by the TPVP agreed to take
> on that liability.
> Ron Festa
> Virtual Worlds Admin
> Division of Continuing Studies at Rutgers University
> PGP key: http://bit.ly/b1ZyhY
> Phone: 732-474-8583
>

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Dzonatas Sol <dzonatas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since the updated TPV, there doesn't seem any indication that LL wants
>> to restrict or take away rights granted by the GPL. In fact, it
>> compliments the GPL to further narrow the difference in liabilities
>> between content and software.
>>
>> LL doesn't seem to want to be liable for an obvious non-GPL written
>> program that connects to the SL grid. A non-GPL program is obviously a
>> TPV.
>>
>> Why should anybody want a TPV that uploads broken content to SL grid?
>> So, to not connect to SL grid and only connect to other worlds is the
>> answer some concluded on how to not upload broken content to SL grid.
>>
>> L. Christopher Bird wrote:
>> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Gareth Nelson
>> > <gareth at garethnelson.com <mailto:gareth at garethnelson.com>> wrote:
>> >

>> >     LL as copyright holder (or joint holder) can change the GPL with
>> > extra
>> >     restrictions as much as they like - so long as they make it clear.
>> >

>> > Sure they can, but they must call this license something OTHER than
>> > GPL. If they want to restrict freedoms granted by the GPL, then it
>> > ceases to be GPL and becomes a new beast. Licensing under GPL which LL
>> > has done in the past gives developers certain rights in the use of
>> > that code.� Some freedoms and rights that the TPV curtails.
>> >
>> > LL is free to license their code however they want. What they can't do
>> > is gut the parts of GPL they disagree with and still call it GPL.

> [...]

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow