[opensource-dev] build instructions overhaul

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sat May 1 11:39:18 PDT 2010

Hi all

As discussed at the Thursday meeting
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Meeting/2010-04-29#msg_27>
(and demanded by new community members on this list, on IRC and at
previous meetings), we should update the build instructions on the wiki
to reflect the steps needed to compile Viewer 2 and Snowglobe 2. While
doing so, it'd be good to also restructure the documentation, so that
the relevant information can be found more easily and quickly.

Currently, instructions, tips and hints are scattered over a lot of
different wiki articles, so I think we should first collect all the
currently available information (even if outdated). It was suggested to
use a wiki category to tag relevant articles. I noticed that we already
have Category:Compiling_viewer
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Meeting/2010-04-29#msg_27>, containing
a lot of pages that might be relevant.

If there are no compelling reasons to use another (new) category for
this, I'll start adding the remaining relevant pages I know of to this
category and encourage all of you to do the same. Once most relevant
information is collected, we can decide how to newly separate it into
different pages and add the missing bits for the latest sources.

cheers
Boroondas