[opensource-dev] Banning by client

Rob Nelson nexisentertainment at gmail.com
Sun May 2 14:42:41 PDT 2010

The only way to reliably detect a client is if the client sends an MD5
hash of the executable to the login server, and that function was
removed ages ago from the login process due to ease of spoofing.

Requiring a unique login channel requires manual intervention to change
the login channel from the official LL channel to the unique one
required by the TPV, so malicious developers don't even have to lift a
finger in order to bypass detection.

The entire system is flawed, and I'm sure LL knows this.