[opensource-dev] Banning by client

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Tue May 4 13:57:24 PDT 2010

While I understand the issue that people are banning based solely on
viewer ID, I don't see this as being a security issue. The client is
NOT being hacked, the information is just not as easy to access as it
is for a web browser.

I see the info bring gathered as nothing more than the user agent
string that every web browser sends.  I'd go so far as to request that
the viewer name and version code (as a single string following a
convention in format, a la browser user agent strings) be accessable
from LSL.

But then, for those who think this might be a problem, we could easily
add some functions into our various viewers to change the string into
whatever we choose it to be. Again, just like browser useragents.

Ricky
Cron Stardust