[opensource-dev] mp4 video doesn't work in snowglobe anymore...

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Fri May 7 18:08:27 PDT 2010

Hi Lance,

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> mp4-based streams (youtube on @home TVs, to be precise) doesn't work in
> snowglobe anymore... I tried both 1.4 (svn 3343) and 2.0 (svn 3347), and
> the
> screen of my TV simply stays white.

Checks into mime_types.xml that the video/mp4 is correctly associated with
the relevant media plugin. It should (just checked). That being said, this
file is in the skins/default/xui/en and can therefore be overloaded by a
version in your locale (de?). Add to that that we added OS specific version
in SG1.x to cope with plugins covering mime types being different between
OSes. A hack but the best we could do at the time (see SNOW-307).

> in old 1.23, and the latest 2.0.1 viewer, it works as expected...

1.23 does not use the media plugins so I'm not surprised it works. It just
relies on whatever is advertised in the parcel media setting to play the
media.

Starting with SG1.3 and V2.0, we've been using the media plugins that do
relate on the mime type sent by the server and a "mime type / plugin"
association table called mime_types.xml. If the server returns something
bogus, the media doesn't play.

If 2.0.1 works, may be stealing its mime_type.xml (copied over into the
app_settings folder) will solve your problem. Let us know if it does.

Cheers,
- Merov