[opensource-dev] Migrating open development focus to 2.x

Lance Corrimal Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de
Fri May 28 05:45:14 PDT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2010, 23:50:55 schrieb Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence):

> It's fairly clear that Linden Lab doesn't have the resources to devote
> to active work on both Snowglobe 1.x and 2.x, and it's not efficient for
> the community as a whole to be splitting effort.

Like many others so far I'd like to point out that LL has little say about
what "the community" thinks to be efficient or not.
right now, working on code based on SG1 is efficient; Working on code based on
SG2 / viewer-external is trying to hit a moving target that changes faster
than april weather in europe.

> I'd like to fairly quickly get to the point where all our new work is
> happening on the 2.x branch.  That said, I understand that might leave
> behind things that the Snowglobe user/dev base wants and that some
> people are not happy with some elements of 2.x.  What I'd like to know
> is... what needs to happen to make that choice that most people can be
> happy with?

... backport the alpha layer / tattoo layer / inventory links / script info
from about land into snowglobe 1.4... 50% of that are already done anyways,
want a patch?

alternatively, have the 2.0 UI redesigned by someone who actually spends time
in-world instead of some crooks in odessa who haven't even seen the "create
account" page, let alone actual SL. In the same move, claim non-fulfilment of
contract and damages from big spaceship for outsourcing their job to someone
who was not exactly up to scratch about the matter.

> One of my goals is to increase the rate and volume at which Linden Lab
> can (and _does_) take changes from the open source base into the
> internal code, but unless we can keep everyone on the same branch, that
> will be much more difficult.

Looking at what's going on on pjira more than once a decade might be a start.

> Please respond to this thread with your favorite reasons not to move
> development to 2.x.   We will review the list at the 6 June open source
> meeting with the goal of setting some priorities.

the user interface.
it is simply BAD.
everything that people do is more cumbersome to achieve in SL.
try any of the following tasks:
- send a group notice with an attachment
- create a box on a prim instead of on the ground
- change clothes right after you login

add the fact that right now, getting a patch to work on 2.0 code is harder
than shooting a running deer with a slingshot from 2 miles away while
blindfolded... I for one have a perfectly working set of patches against 1.4.x
that won't even apply on 2.0 source, and it's not a simple matter of finding
the spots where stuff moved around... it's more like, basic concepts are
changing every time you grab a new svn checkout.

> To be clear... I don't object to anyone else working on 1.x at all; I'd
> just like to know why so that we can tempt them to join us on 2.x

As long as SG2 / viewer external keeps changing in such huge leaps & bounds I
believe that hardly anyone would want to keep reimplementing the same patch
over and over several times a day.

as a sidenote... is this "let's focus on 2.0" line of thought in any way
behind the fact that after 6 weeks I haven't even heard back about my
application for the TPV directory?

bye,
LC