[opensource-dev] OpenJPEG v2 progress update

GeneJ genejinsl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:47:52 PST 2010

Scruffy:

You wrote, "ŠUse the official viewer to upload your sculpts.  What's hard
about that?"

ErrrŠ. the official viewer doesn't support the temporary upload of sculpts
maps. Particulars of sculpt sizing and sculpt LOD make temporary uploads
particularly useful to creators like me.

There's more, a lot more.  Just ask some builders for their thoughts on
Viewer 2. I'm the v2 coordinator for some groups and love it for media,
wardrobe and favorites, but I'll pass on it for building.  I did attend the
v2 Town Hall way back when, and I've participated in some Linden Office
Hours, too. I'll include a couple things below:

*viewer2 forces you to round the statistics for object XYZ location, size
and rotation. Some other viewers have extra digits for these these things
(object tab > location and size).
*other viewers have one click copy-paste for XYZ location-size-rotation of
object/prim‹supports quick cloning and/or precise fit, even within a linked
set. The extra digits are particularly nice when you are using Excel to
store or generate for build calculations Š Or maybe just for the triangle
math.
*buried inventory management tools. V2 has things like file upload, collapse
folders, sorting and the like buried under icons at the bottom of the side
panel.

As for running multiple viewers,  please read the original post. To that,
I'll ad that lots of creators are already running graphics and memory
intense operations. For example, maybe Blender, Maya or 3dMax, probably
Photoshop or Gimp (maybe both).

--GJ