[opensource-dev] Upcoming depth-of-field feature

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 15:54:08 PST 2010

Agreed, DOF is on my long-list not my short-list of things I'd like to
see done.  However, I expect that SL's deferred rendering system has a
laundry list of issues. Just look at it's history; it's been little
more than a pet-project since it's inception.  A pet project with the
capability to go far, but still just a pet project.  Getting the
client into a stronger codebase (2.0) and then stabilized with very
little new features has been the largest pushes in recent history.

In fact, we've (LL and OS devs,) been working stability for so many
months that it might be time to push for a cool, if small, new
feature.  However, with the new level of visibility, it won't be as
much a surprise. I hope.  From my reading here, most people don't like
surprises! :P  Maybe something nice, like a good UI skinning system...
 See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Skinning#Phase_2_-_Switchable_Skins
 Or maybe a roll-out of meshes, but I suspect that's wishing too hard!
:P

As to the original question about DoF, here's what is known:
  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22depth+of+field%22+OR+DOF+site:secondlife.com
Which gives the following JIRAs:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-19244  PROFESSIoNAL TOOL:
Snapshot: add functions: Dynamic Focus, Depth of field and Blurr
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-3921  photographic tools: DoF

In VWR-3921 Adeon Writer pointed to this build of the mesh viewer:
http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/mesh-development/rev/215482/index.html

Ricky
Cron Stardust