[opensource-dev] Question about LOD debug setting

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 11:54:36 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Ponzu <lee.ponzu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I picked up a notecard that says to increase RenderVolumeLODFactor to 4.  Is
> this reasonable, do you think?  And if so, why not increase the default a
> bit (currently seems to be 1.125

It is reasonable, the default setting is a bit low. It varies with
your graphics settings tho, 0 for low, 1.125 for mid & high, and 2 for
ultra IIRC. I find 3 a good compromise between quality and
performance.

> Unlike increasing your draw distance, this will NOT create lag for yourself

This however, is blatantly false. If rendering everything at full
detail all the time didn't cause a drop in frame rate than why would
we even bother with LOD?