[opensource-dev] Unity 3D as possible base for future (maybe even official) SL Viewers

Reed Steamroller Reed at ChangingWorldsBuildingDreams.com
Sun Oct 3 15:39:39 PDT 2010

Run Unity in a VM.  Works for me.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Glen Canaday <gcanaday at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 15:09 -0700, Daniel Smith wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Glen Canaday <gcanaday at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         No Linux support is a total deal-breaker for me.
> >
> > I never said anything about the Linux viewer going away.
> > I note that we have Pocket Metaverse now, and have had AjaxLife in the
> > past.
> > If it helps at all, I started with BSD Unix in 1981, Linux in 1994 ;)
> >
> > As is the case with web browsers, a VR client to the same server could
> > take many forms.
> >
> > Ultimately, it's about what the community wants, and if a critical
> > mass of developers decides to give them that.  It doesn't have to be
> > an official Linden effort at all.
> >
> > All I am saying is, in 2 years time, I cant see the current codebases
> > even getting to the point where Unity 3.0 is today, in terms of
> > graphics, physics, animation, terrain, and sound.
> > But, I could see a pretty decent SL app done in Unity within that
> > amount of time.
> >
> > And, of course, I am just an interested observer.  I dont speak for
> > LL, Vivaty, AOL, Autodesk, or anywhere else I have worked :)
> >
> > Daniel
>
> It's hard to see exactly where the rendering engine will go, really, in
> 2 years. For a plugin-based client, as some (including myself) are
> rather nudging towards, the renderer is just a part of the whole and
> could in theory be hot-swapped if desired to A/B different engines. Even
> if those renderers swapped between opengl and directx, it could still
> fly. But to suggest that the main client perhaps go to something that
> does not work across the board doesn't really include the whole of the
> population - something which LL would be keen to retain.
>
> That's why I suggested Ogre instead. I personally think it would be a
> better fit and more productive to look at. Others may have different
> opinions.
>
> --GC
>
> > --
> > Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
> > http://daniel.org/resume

William Reed Seal Foss (Reed Steamroller)
Chief Creative Officer
Sand Castle Studios LLC | Second Life

http://www.ChangingWorldsBuildingDreams.com
Reed at ChangingWorldsBuildingDreams.com
http://www.Twitter.com/ReedSteamroller