[opensource-dev] Uses of the Lookat target Crosshairs

dz dz at bitzend.net
Mon Oct 4 07:56:26 PDT 2010

Folks,

 Thanks for the informed responses.  I admit that most of my concern was NOT
a function of seeing the cross-hairs, but rather the response I got when I
inquired about it.   The fact that the avatar was 10 days old, was folded up
in a corner not moving, and that he basically told me to "kiss his ass" when
I asked him what viewer he was using.    I might also be willing to admit it
was a "mistake" like Robin suffered, except the crosshairs disappeared
shortly after I suggested I would be Abuse Reporting a member of his staff
group in a conversation with the club owner.

It seems clear that this user is NOT using a "standard" viewer, has control
over the targets, and an attitude like "If you come here, we can do whatever
we like" (until it looks like you might really know something about whats
going on).   After three years of SL, and a LOT of online time, these kinds
of things raise all kinds of red flags.

Robin....  Was  "Your viewer"  in use before or after the recent TPV
changes?  Did you intentionally alter the look at target color so that the
text did not conform to the standard color codes used everywhere else?  Did
you sit folded up in a corner 24/7 outside a busy club?

For me,  the bottom line seems to be that the knowledgeable viewer folks
don't see any reason to be concerned over what is most likely just a bug in
someone's implementation of LookAt crosshairs.   I find it just too weird
that I've only seen this happen for 2 avatars, and approaching both of them
in a civil manner has resulted in a response typical of a child caught with
cookie crumbs on their lips.   I also realize none of those issues are
relevant to this mailing list...  SO

Thank you all again for your feedback ( and the work you all do (wink) )...