[opensource-dev] Unity 3D as possible base / 2.x Codebase plugin capable?

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:15:25 PDT 2010

Am happy to see some input on the idea of Unity.  It makes me smile.

My intent, of course, was to jolt a bit out of idea of a monolithic 2.x
codebase.  A lot of folks want the viewer to do quite a bit (mesh editor,
anyone?).  Fulfilling the wishlist without going to a plugin strategy will
result in a bloated client that will run on fewer and fewer machines.

So if Unity is relegated to a cool TPV project somewhere, that's fine ;)

Proposing something radical like that will hopefully get people to think
more about what it would take to do a very plugin oriented client (can the
2.x codebase do it?  or does it call for a reset of sorts?)  Where do people
want to see an SL client, 2 years from now?

I dont think much of possible approaches that dont handle the physics /
animation / terrain / sound angles.   It's just asking to reinvent too many
wheels.  Oh, and as for the objection to Unity outputting to game consoles:
snap out of it.  The mere existence of code on a console doesn't make it a
game.  The overall idea is to make SL / OS ubiquitous (Linux client doesnt
go away, other approaches open up the Web, phones, and consoles.. all good
moves).

cheers,

Daniel