[opensource-dev] Vertex Edit Capability

Daniel danielravennest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 08:25:36 PDT 2010

  I submitted JIRA issue VWR-23202 to provide the simplest in-world
editing capability, that of moving vertexes on a mesh.

The reasons why include making a clothing item fit better, a large mesh
object fit within a land parcel, or fit the other objects in a linkset.
As someone learning to build it would also be more fun and interesting
to edit shapes.  Even for an advanced builder, while we can load the
parts of a complex build into our 3D program and get them to fit each
other, we cannot load all possible avatar shapes, or the surrounding
land for large items, and see how the mesh will fit the surroundings
until it is there.

I am not proposing a full blown mesh editor, that is best left to
specialized software.  What I want to see is a way to adjust items so
they are more useful once imported/transferred to others, and a learning
path for new people.  Once they have a taste of modifying a simple
library mesh, if they want to do more advanced work they can get some
outside software.  This is similar in my mind to what we do with
textures.  We can adjust the color tint, tiling ratio, etc on a texture
(simple mods), but if we want to make a whole new texture you get GIMP
or Photoshop.

For the UI, I suggest using the same XYZ movement gizmo we use now for
whole prims, the same numerical input boxes, and the same selection
highlight.  Just add a radio button to "Edit vertex" like the "Edit
linked parts" on that's already there.

To simplify asset database and server overhead, it may make sense to do
the editing local in the client until you leave edit mode.  But I will
leave technical implementation to those who know more about that side of
things.

Daniel