[opensource-dev] How is the XUI part of the interface designed?

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Wed Oct 6 19:30:51 PDT 2010

There's no GUI editor. However, there is a nice little assistance tool. From the login screen ONLY, you can invoke the GUI Preview tool by hitting alt-ctrl-T (or cmd-ctrl-T on a Mac). It will bring up a dialog that you can use to display any of our dialog boxes, in two languages at once if you want. If you configure it, you can also have it open the dialog file in your text editor, and the "show rectangles" checkbox makes it easy to see which parts of the dialog have which names.

If you edit a dialog, you can show and hide it, and it will reload. So you should be able to experiment with a layout rather easily; it's not a live graphical editor, but it makes it pretty easy to edit. Just realize the dialogs are not "live", and so sometimes things won't look right, or may have overlapping fields because only one of them is visible at any given time.