[opensource-dev] Where oh where has my rendering gone?

Brad Kittenbrink (Brad Linden) brad at lindenlab.com
Thu Oct 7 14:00:25 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Joshua Bell <josh at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Kent Quirk (Q Linden) <q at lindenlab.com>wrote:
>
>> Well, it's not quite like that. To pull this off, you'd have to take
>> everywhere we set a color, and set it instead to its equivalent black and
>> white value (there's a formula that's traditionally used, although there's
>> no "correct" way to do it:  Y = 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B). You *might* be
>> able to get away with modifying the LLColor4 constructor to do this, but
>> it's probably going to have some surprising results when you assign a value
>> and don't get the same value back.
>>

> How about post-processing every frame before the final swapBuffers call?
> That seems like it could be done with a shader and only touching a small
> amount of code. This would affect the UI as well as the world viewport,
> however, without some significant refactoring, but given that we already
> have some post-processing effects (glow, etc) perhaps there's already a good
> spot to slot this in?
>
> (Don't trust me too much, though, as I've never written a non-trivial
> shader and have never touched the viewer's render pipeline!)
>
> Of course, once you have monochrome output, you could tweak the shader and
> get sepia-toned rendering. Old-timey SL, anyone?
>
> -- Josh

This is definitely the approach I'd recommend.

To do this you'll want to reenable the old postprocessing filters which were
part of a pre-release version of windlight but got disabled.

llrender/llpostprocess.{h,cpp}
newview/llfloaterpostprocess.{h,cpp}
newview/app_settings/shader/class{1,2}/effects/*.glsl

Most of this legacy code is probably horribly incompatible with the current
renderer (particularly since deferred rendering has redesigned the way the
renderer is organized), but at least it's a place to start looking...

-Brad