[opensource-dev] Remaining build issues for 64bit linux standalone out-of-source (without unit tests)

WolfPup Lowenhar wolfpup67 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 06:22:26 PDT 2010

For some of us disabling of the tests means less time actually compiling the
code. Especially if the system the code is being compiled on is an older
system. As an example below is my system specs taken directly from the
current dev build I did over the weekend.

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2800.13 MHz)

Memory: 2046 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit  (Build 7600)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2

On the above system if I build and run everything from a clean checkout it
will take ~3hrs to do a complete build all the way to packaging. Now if I
turn off the building and running of those test but compile time is cut in
half which means more time for me to test any changes I have made in the
code. I know there are some out there that talk about doing incremental
builds when your testing something and that might be ok for if you make a
minor change the same day you have done a build but if you're making changes
over multiple days it is best to me for the date of the build in about
SecdondLife to be set to the new date each time so you can keep track of
those changes.