[opensource-dev] Local Lights

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 00:30:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Ann Otoole <missannotoole at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When is the last time anyone checked on local lights. I recall that 7 limit
> was removed a ways back and then during a discussion people were still
> saying there was a limit of 7. So I decided to test it.

The limit was never raised. The OpenGL fixed function pipleline only
supports a maximum of 8 light sources, this has been true for the last
20 years.

> In the SLv2 Beta only 2 local lights worked at all.

That's a bug, there's a jira entry for it somewhere.

> Any reason why the capabilities of the LL viewer keep being ratcheted down?

This isn't a fare comparison. Kirsten's viewer has deferred rendering
enabled by default, which lets it render an effectively infinite
number of light sources. The official viewer still uses the fixed
function lights since the deferred rendering code isn't quite
production ready.

If you test again with them both using either deferred or fixed
function lighting they will behave the same.