[opensource-dev] O.O Display name code DROP!

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:23:49 PDT 2010

Actually, IMHO that was the catalyst, not the reason.  The reason was
that there needs to be a pile of information about the posts.  The log
files just don't contain enough information, especially with Display
Names.  With an expanded format, such as any of LLSD/XML/JSON, you can
associate all the needed information in an expandable, fairly
future-proof format.  Text files just don't cut it.  Named fields, as
given by any of the above formats, allow adding fields without
breaking any tools made for the new format.  Text doesn't. Neither any
of the common flavors of CSV.  It's just sad that the files weren't in
one of these formats a long time ago.  Something I'm going to take to
heart as I develop games and tools.

Now, as to LLSD over any of the others.  The reason is ease of coding.
 LLSD is something already used, and fairly well-defined, in the
viewer.  A custom XML or JSON format would take defining the syntax,
creating a standard, etc.  LLSD is already there, and well known.  The
functions for converting to it are all already in place.  As such it's
less bloat to the viewer to use that format.  In fact, depending on
how the structure exists in the code (I haven't looked,) it may have
even been easier to export as LLSD than the original text.

Adding an option WOULD have been bloat.  if you want text in the
original style, JSON, Wikicode, or prettified HTML, all it takes is
running the log file though the proper XSL stylesheet using your
favorite XML processing tool.  Pretty trivial.  Such tools could even
be built into the viewer, but I don't see the need.  Those who do,
feel free to add to a TPV, or provide a solid, reasoned argument for
such.  Or you can get it added to a TPV, if the author finds it useful
to them.

Over-all I think this was a good move: the files are easier to write
lexers for as we can leverage existing parsers, and they are still not
too hard to read from a human standpoint - assuming useful line breaks
in the files.

Ricky
Cron Stardust