[opensource-dev] O.O Display name code DROP!

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:32:55 PDT 2010

I'd have to say that future proof and archival safe are two separate
qualities.  Logs might need to be archived, but 90% (guessing) of the
content is fluff only useful for a couple of months to a year at the
most.  However, the tools that read them (such as converters /
archivers) have a much longer lifespan.  If you do want 50+ year
archival quality, then use a trivial exporter to convert to the ASCII
format of your choice when you run your archival process and send it
to paper punch tape.  (I'm not being insulting here: paper punch tape
is THE most long-lived digital format I've ever met.)

As to the stylesheet: I propose that it be installed with the viewer
and be located in the same folder as the logs.  This way it can be
archived along with the files by your favorite archival/storage tools.

And viewing the file is likewise not an issue.  Every modern computer
already has a browser installed and in use.  And if you still needed
to read the log from a GUI-less computer, the logs are still ASCII.
The tags surrounding the data are just helpful to the computer.  This
isn't a binary format we are discussing; it's a formatted text file.
Formatted in a way that makes it easier for a computer to read while
still being useful to the humans involved.