[opensource-dev] O.O Display name code DROP!

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 20:57:52 PDT 2010

I agree, the XML notation is far from perfect (see some of my posts
last year about the subject,) however I consider it better than either
text or this almost-JSON notation for a variety of reasons, all laid
out in https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-23451 for ease of
reference.

Assuming that the order of fields is fixed, a fair assumption as LLSD
requires it I believe, then the XSLT isn't so bad, and a prototype has
already been made.

On the subject of using other standard tools, such as
grep/sed/awk/etc., I fully agree.  This is why I'd fight against any
binary or compressed format.  However, no such proposal has been made.
 All formats so far don't have any less information in any less
accessible of a format than the text files.  If the file doesn't have
proper line breaks, then that's another issue.  Albeit one fairly
easily resolved by passing it through sed with the right expression.

Ricky
Cron Stardust