[opensource-dev] Mesh viewer source code

Nyx Linden nyx at lindenlab.com
Fri Oct 22 08:43:39 PDT 2010

Sorry for the delay, there's been a few build and licensing issues that
have cropped up recently that have made it difficult to get the source
code published for the mesh viewer. That being said, the source is now
public, at the following repository:

http://hg.secondlife.com/mesh-development/

Please note that there are still some build errors on some platforms,
but there have been a few requests that we release the source even
before these issues are fixed. I'll be focusing on getting these errors
fixed tomorrow, so if you encounter specific build issues, please let me
know.

There are a few new libraries that are linked into the viewer - the
source code for these will be released soon. The new libraries are:

glod - level of detail library we use for auto-generating different
levels of detail. Based on this library:
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~graphics/GLOD/  We have some tweaks that make it
work with our system, and will be releasing the source shortly.

collada - we're wrapping the standard collada libs with some code that
makes it work with our viewer. We'll be releasing the source to our
modifications shortly.

Convex decomposition stub - We're using havok to decompose meshes into
multiple convex hulls in our official release. However, to support the
development of a fully open-source solution, we're releasing the source
code to the "stub" (non-functional) version of the library we're
providing to compile the mesh viewer. This stub should have all the
relevant information necessary to start development of a new convex
decomposition library. We hope to have the source up shortly.

I'm very interested personally in seeing a fully open-source convex
decomposition library created to work with our mesh source code, so if
anyone would like to get started on this, please let me know and I'll do
what I can to support such an effort!

Please note that the current state of the code isn't fully stable -
initial builds have reported a linking issue on linux, and a crash on
windows. I'll be working to resolve these issues ASAP, but if you have
any specific information on how the build is breaking, please let me
know! This will be our primary repository, so check back for updates and
build fixes :)

Thanks everyone for your patience on waiting for the code!

  -Nyx