[opensource-dev] Files deleted by uninstaller don't appear in Recycle Bin

SuezanneC Baskerville suezanne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 11:51:40 PDT 2010

Files deleted by the  SL uninstaller don't appear in the Recycle Bin on my
Windows XP system.

It seems to me it would be better if they did.

Some files deleted by some other programs do appear in the Recycle Bin.

In the case that brought this to my attention, it was the uninstaller for
the SL Development Viewer and what it deleted was all my chat history, which
could have been 7 years of chat history.

The uninstaller asks if you want to delete files left in the SL program
files folder and then if you answer yes it proceeds to delete not only files
in the SL program folder, it also deletes files in the Application Data and
Local Settings folder, including files that were created by TPVs.

Obviously the uninstaller shouldn't irreplacable user data without asking,
as it does, or data in folders created by other programs, as it does, nor
should the deletion process be without an easily activated STOP DELETING
control, but despite those problems, the damage would be mitigated if one
could restore the file from their Recycle Bin or appropriate equivalent.

So, is there some reason why these deleted files don't go to the recycle
bin?

--
v i r t u a l   w o r l d   e n t h u s i a s t
-- http://www.google.com/profiles/s u e z a n n e --