[opensource-dev] Viewer-development and viewer-beta

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Tue Oct 26 11:53:08 PDT 2010

Briefly:

viewer-development is the repository for daily work, the 'trunk'. Things checked in there go into the development viewer; the expectation is that those things are ready for release -- but it doesn't always work out that way.

When we want to start the release process, we pull to viewer-beta. That goes through our integration QA process; every change in beta should be approved in advance, and also pulled over to viewer-development. Sometimes it goes the other way but we're trying to minimize that.

We release betas approximately weekly. When we believe we have reached release stability, we pull beta to viewer-release and ship that as an "official" viewer. That will happen about monthly.

The full explanation is here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Repository_Strategy