[opensource-dev] On Live, SL via Cloud Computing

Talarus Luan sls.dev.sl.1 at sylea.org
Thu Oct 28 13:08:30 PDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 10:53 PM, Stickman wrote:
> Had a thought, figured I'd share it in case someone with authority
> wanted to explore the topic.

I'm not an authority, but I have explored it a bit.

> On Live (http://www.onlive.com/) is a cloud computing gaming service.
> You open up the client and their computers run the game and graphics
> and stream the video to you while accepting your controls. It means
> you can run games on systems that otherwise wouldn't run them.

It's an iteration on an old idea. Render the scene, stream it to the
user, accept user input back to the server to render the next scene,
etc. It's always been a huge boondoggle because of the amount of
bandwidth it takes, loss of image fidelity, and the control lag.

> Pros:
> -Less powerful computers can run SL on high settings

It still requires a fairly beefy computer to run the decoding in high
image quality with high frame rates, which is pretty much a requirement
to avoid image artifacting.

> Cons:
> -$5/month subscription fee per user (Premium option?)
> -Requires high bandwidth (3mbit) connection
> -Probably consumes more bandwidth than SL itself would

-Control lag; even though they claim it is "good enough" for FPS games,
many FPS players who have tried it out report serious latency in control
response, turning them off of it.
-Image quality issues: viewing a virtual world as a compressed movie
will have significantly noticeable image quality issues (and has been
noted in reviews of the service).

My personal take on it (and has been since the mid-90s, when this
concept was first proposed) is "no thanks". I prefer to use the
horsepower of my system to generate the world, especially since that
horsepower is still ever-increasing on a geometric scale, and getting
cheaper all the time. It also isn't that hard to keep SL's platform
requirements within the grasp of older hardware for a good long while.

--TL