[opensource-dev] Files deleted by uninstaller don't appear in Recycle Bin

SuezanneC Baskerville suezanne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:12:39 PDT 2010

It might be more logical to store the chat logs - or perhaps a copy of the
chat logs - in the "My Documents" folder, or operating system equivalent.

The recycle bin might be a gamble, but it has better odds of allowing data
restoration that not putting the deleted files in the recycle bin, doesn't
it?

Putting deleted chat log files in the recycle bin is not meant to exclude
other needed improvements such as not deleted the files in the first place.

There are several jira issues about not deleting our chat logs and other
files such as settings fles that could use some more looking at and perhaps
some votes.

VWR-21970 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-21970
VWR-17901 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-17901
VWR-17040 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-17040
STORM-280 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-280
PLAT-45 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/PLAT-45
VWR-17187 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-17187
VWR-20216 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-20216
VWR-18315 - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-18315

There are probably some other related issues in addition to the above.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Robert Martin <robertltux at gmail.com> wrote:

> getting back to what i said
>
> 1 the uninstaller should state that it is removing the profile data
> (best thing to do would be to zip it and put it in a folder on the
> desktop)
>
> 2 TPVs should by default not use the default secondlife profile folder
> (i would bet that 40% of SL/TPV problems could be solved by this
> simple step)
>
> 3 the recycle bin is a gamble anyway and may not be safe to use (2
> gigs of profile data and a 1 gig recycle bin size = chunks of missing
> data)
> --
> Robert L Martin

v i r t u a l   w o r l d   e n t h u s i a s t
-- http://www.google.com/profiles/s u e z a n n e --