[opensource-dev] Blocking viewers.

malachi malachi at tamzap.com
Wed Sep 8 15:34:32 PDT 2010


so the software "Emerald" has no flaws that effect second life in any way  
you say?



attempted DDoSing a website from the client
exposing user data to the world(then hiding it in encryption that is sent  
only to the creators)

those are goodies that everyone wants to be a part of i take it.
i mean thats what you are saying.

perhaps you need to go read the TOS mate. you know that thing that you  
clicked "I AGREE" to when you logged in.
LINDEN LAB reserves the right to revoke your access to the second life  
servers at anytime for any reason (or for no reason at all)
with or without notice.

no one cares one way or another which clients you install. just like no  
one cares what other stuff you have on your computer(except the emerald  
devs)

the only thing lindens care about is the fact that they asked the  
developers to remove the bull s#$T from the client that was in violation  
to their rules.
the devs "REFUSED" <---- do you even understand that word?
linden lab blocks the client that is in obvious violation of the TOS
and state that they will BAN/terminate your access to second life if you  
bypass that block on the software.

now.... lets have a peek at this

lets say you get hash banned from second life. and you change your ip and  
mac address. and log into sl
if they find out that it is you.... what happens?
THEY BAN YOU AGAIN.

are you saying they dont have the right to ban you? if so log out of sl  
and log into open sim.

now. that being said i think that if they are going to block emerald and  
obviously ban key creators from second life they NEED TO.....(AND WOULD A  
LINDEN PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE)
ban all accounts that those people have. instead of just allowing them to  
generate 10000000 alts with the last name MODULARSYSTEMS(wait they already  
have) and logging in as much as they want.

now. im going back to my snowstorm. could we please move the topic to  
something that has relevance to what this group is called?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 18:21:26 -0400, Tom Grimshaw <tom at streamsense.net>  
wrote:

>   On 08/09/2010 23:09, Mike Dickson wrote:
>> Oh geez. Do we really have to go through this again.  You can run
>> whatever you like on your PC.  And Linden Lab has every right to
>> determine what software they will allow to connect to their SERVICE.
>
> Okay, let's just outline this properly.
>
> The lab DO NOT have any right to determine what software they will allow
> to connect to their SERVICE.  The only thing they DO have a right to do
> is to determine which TCP connections they want to accept and which UDP
> packets they want to accept.  It's my right to use whichever software I
> want to generate those packets. As such, I accept that they have the
> legal right to block logins from clients containing "Emerald" in their
> version string - but not a moral right. And they certainly do not have a
> right to threaten people with account bans if they "bypass" the ban.
>
> Linden Lab have blocked Emerald due to a POLITICAL DISAGREEMENT with
> their dev team.  They haven't blocked it because of any fault with the
> software itself,  they're not protecting anyone - they're taking
> pre-emptive action against a project because of some percieved danger
> that might evolve.
>
> ~T
>
> _______________________________________________
> Policies and (un)subscribe information available here:
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/OpenSource-Dev
> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting  
> privileges


-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/


More information about the opensource-dev mailing list