[opensource-dev] Retaining Newbies (Was: The Plan for Snowglobe)

Qie Niangao qieniangao at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 12:27:38 PDT 2010

> 3 it would help if we could read the language in use by the viewer and
> if the resident could be informed as to what languages are available
> in that area (or maybe stick a translator thing in the default newbie
> pack??) [...]
> --
> Robert L Martin
In case it helps, a script can almost always learn the viewer language
with llGetAgentLanguage().  I had a multilingual info station for
adult verification that did that, and used agent-specific parcel media
to show excerpts of wiki pages in the viewer's choice of language.  I
learned that almost nobody hides their viewer language.  But a few
folks took umbrage, insisting that they only set their viewer language
to Outer Slobovian because they liked the way it punctuated numbers,
or some damned thing, and I shouldn't assume that they wanted content
to match the language of their viewer.  Were I to do it over again, I
might simply have national flags for them to select, and keep track of
who clicked which flag.