[opensource-dev] Retaining Newbies (Was: The Plan for Snowglobe)

Altair Sythos Memo sythos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 07:53:27 PDT 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:26:27 -0500
Bunny Halberd <bunny at bunnynet.org> wrote:

> 1.) My computer can't handle it. (This is, by far, the #1 reason
> people leave SL after trying it, I'm convinced. Maybe as high as 90%!)

this point have no viewer side solutions :)

> I think a lot of headway could be made if the open source community
> and LL worked together to do two things:
>
>  - Give newbies a fighting chance with a viewer that degrades
> gracefully.
>  - Provide an easy pathway for newbies to find groups like ours as
> soon as they're first rezzed in. Give them something to do as soon as
> they rezz in. Show them how wonderful the SL *PEOPLE* are, not some
> cold, sterile orientation program.

i wish add an old "solution": menthors

now all viewer can detect language used by resident before he/she
login, in place of a unique help-island may be more interesting create
one each language and ask to old menthors to hangout here

all this isn't related to code, maybe elsewhere will be a better place
where discuss deeper about this topic