[opensource-dev] Retaining Newbies (Was: The Plan for Snowglobe)

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 09:07:54 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 12 September 2010 schrieb Altair "Sythos" Memo:
>> > 1.) My computer can't handle it. (This is, by far, the #1 reason
>> > people leave SL after trying it, I'm convinced. Maybe as high as
>> > 90%!)
>>
>> this point have no viewer side solutions :)
>

> actually it has... "do not add more shinies that raise the hardware
> requirements even higher"...

Most of these people have machines that don't even support the shinies
so that what does it matter if we add them? And adding support for
shinies such as volumetric lighting would get rid of those ugly semi
transparent cones around lights and speed things up for people on low
end machines that have it disabled. See, it's a win win situation, I
get my shinies and they get better performace.