[opensource-dev] Severe water flicker in recent development build

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:42:46 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Zha Ewry <zha.ewry at gmail.com> wrote:

> This reeks of something we could seriously crowdsource. How hard would it
> be to pick a base region, a base set of settings (Draw distance etc) and
> have 100 or 200 of us
> take turns getting a simple benchmark? set a bar for network (use speakeasy
> to measure to a constant place, for example) and as people to boot, run the
> client to attach to the
> regoin, take a number of measurements and post them to a table in a wiki
> page. I am betting we'd learn a lot in a hurry.
>
> ~ Zha
>

> Excellent idea.  The other thing I am wondering these days is:  how come
the Unity3d engine is getting much more
impressive graphics, at high frames, with very complex scenes, compared to
SL?  I wish there were a simple
way to do an apples to apples comparison of the same scene in SL vs
Unity3d.  On my 4 year old Intel iMac,
the difference is absolutely striking.

It's not just the hardware.  There's something in the SL graphics pipeline
that is a big issue.

--
Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume