[opensource-dev] User Story: Improved Cache

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:17:39 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Daniel <danielravennest at gmail.com> wrote:

>  As a user I would like to see an improved cache in order to have a
> better Second Life experience.  The types
> of improvements that would lead to a better experience include:
>
> * A higher cache size limit.  This would let me save more data and speed
> up rez times, and also put less
> load on the server side, since it would not have to refresh discarded
> data as often.  Modern hard drives
> are much much larger than the current 1 GB limit, and I should be able
> to allocate more storage to
> my Second Life data if it improves performance.

Greetings Daniel from Daniel --

It would be good to know from the Lindens as to the negative effect from
having a cache size that is too big.  I know that there are some diminishing
returns with web browsers - they can get to the point where, if the cache is
too big, they spend more time tracking down the item than it would take to
just go fetch a fresh one.  One of the crucial things would be:  what is in
main memory, relating to on-disk cache?  A side effect would be.. the app
size in memory gets to the point where the OS starts swapping other things
out....

It's all a balance ;)  Would be good to see the Linden guidance on this.

Daniel

--
Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume