[opensource-dev] Side topic related to cache (was Re: User Story: Improved Cache

JB Hancroft jbhancroft at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 08:37:50 PDT 2010

I was just sketching this up yesterday, in a brainstorming session with some
folks about how
we thought the v.w. systems would be morphing over the next 2-5 years.

A co-operative P2P network of users who would be willing to opt into
"participate in cache sharing"
would be a good idea.  Having the cache be fairly intelligent - broadcasting
requests and then maintaining
a list of "fast and available" similarly co-operative viewers. It definitely
offloads comm work from always
going back to the SL servers over and over. This problem has been solved
many times by many projects.

It seems to me that it would improve the user experience "Fast"... and also
impact LL's operational budget
significantly (in a good way :).

Regards,
- JB