[opensource-dev] User Story: Improved Cache

Aidan Thornton makosoft at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:13:16 PDT 2010

On 9/19/10, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps Tateru was referring to the prim data changing (eg, geometry) while
> the prim UUID stays the same. I don't think the viewer makes any assumptions
> about prims being unchanged from session to session, so that's not something
> that would need to be verified in the cache.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does, at least in viewer versions where
caching hasn't accidentally been rendered totally ineffective by a Linden Labs
typo. In fact, there's a fairly elaborate system for caching prim data
to disk. As I recall, it detects changed prims using the CRC field,
which is completely misnamed and is really a generation counter that
records the number of changes to the prim. Then there's the CacheID,
which invalidates the whole sim's cached data where necessary (e.g. if
the sim moves or crashes, or perhaps even if it just restarts at all -
would have to ask one of the Lab folks).