[opensource-dev] Externally controllable viewers?

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:03:01 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Dana Moore <dana.virtual at gmail.com> wrote:

> ditto an interest here.
> Specifically what we are interested in doing is capturing a human user's
> motion via a cam and turning a set of those into avatar controls (e.g., move
> left/right/forward, fly, sit). Any useful inputs or comments would help get
> us on track.
> thanks
> ElectricSheep Expedition

Am not sure if you could do this in realtime with one camera (without some
sort of wearable tags)

Here is my tweet from yesterday about a Siggraph paper on animation based on
video keyframes/points:

3d #animation <http://twitter.com/search?q=%23animation> from 2d clips.
http://bit.ly/9l5VPP - Their
#Siggraph<http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Siggraph>paper:
http://bit.ly <http://bit.ly/boe2wp>

Mapping this back to SL, this would open a lot of possibilties up for
animators.

Oh... and an iPhone 4 or new iPod touch might be a good input device!!  I
just remembered that they now have a built in gyroscrope.  There is
certainly the API in iOS to send out a realtime stream of user movements...
That would get you something you can intrepret as walking, running, turning,
sitting, flying...

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Vex Streeter <vexstreeter at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Who's currently working on doing external control of viewer functions,
>> especially avatar control?  I know of a few people doing AR sorts of
>> things that would qualify and some of the viewer-plugin and modularity
>> work would certainly help.  I'm going to be doing some viewer hacking to
>> allow some additional input devices and would like to be as general as
>> possible (and not reinvent the wheel).
>>
>> Many thanks
>>     Vex
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/OpenSource-Dev
>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting
>> privileges
>>

> --
> Dana
> "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo

Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume