[opensource-dev] Possibility to revert UI changes on snowstorm?

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:51:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Mike Monkowski
<monkowsk at fishkill.ibm.com>wrote:

> Small changes cannot fix the 2.x UI.  You really have only two
> reasonable choices:  revert the look and feel back to 1.x or make the UI
> completely customizable.

+1 for customization.

Yoz has shown a more levelheaded approach to the UI problem than Oz Linden.
Both are under LL corporate constraints, to be sure.

I see 5 streams of development, going forward:

* 1.x TPVs that cherry pick the best bits of V2 features
* 2.x TPVs that cherry pick the best bits of V2 features, and in some cases,
offer patches to go back into the official 2.x stream
* 2.x LL viewer, where developers decide they can work with the process and
constraints of LL
* exploratory work at developing a viewer with Unity as a foundation
* everything else (Ajax, iPhone, Android, etc)

I dont think 5 streams are sustainable, but that is where we seem to be at
the moment.

A customizable UI would do much to circle the 1.x and 2.x development effort
wagons.

--
Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume