[opensource-dev] Possibility to revert UI changes on snowstorm?

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at fishkill.ibm.com
Tue Sep 21 12:40:47 PDT 2010

I don't know what a model-view-controller approach is, but if you say it
adds an extra layer of abstraction, then it doesn't matter anyway.

The UI is defined in XML and so is called XUI.  Admiral Admiral and I
wrote some patches that, among other things, let you instantiate a
floater from XML on the fly so that you could edit XML and reload
immediately to see the effect of your changes.  See VWR-10924.
Unfortunately the 2.x changes stomped all over the code affected by the
patches and made it incompatible.

1.x was starting to implement callback functions that could be
referenced by name rather than hardcoded as part of the floater
initialization routine.  That was a good step toward being customizable.
  I think there were some people in Linden Lab that may have been headed
in that direction.

It's not "really hard."  It's just a matter of priorities.

Mike