[opensource-dev] off the wall idea of the day

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Fri Sep 24 08:52:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ponzu <lee.ponzu at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Logging in" is so *boring*.  You log in to the mainframe, or your prison
> cell.  When a user connects to Second Life, we need a better metaphor and a
> more "fun" experience.
>
> I am thinking of something like ENTER THE METAVERSE  or UPLOAD YOURSELF
> NOW.  Then, instead of the boring progress bar, how about swirling lights or
> a visual whirl pool or something, like a music visualization plug in from
> iTunes.

I seem to recall an internal idea discussed circa 2006 (so I think the
statute of limitations has expired...) that presented progress starting with
a tunnel of swirly lights which resolved into a view of the world map zoomed
all the way out. As login progressed, the map would zoom in to your
destination until it finally just tipped to match your initial view.

Cool as that would be, I'd rather dedicate engineering time to reducing
login time as much as possible first.

Has anyone recently profiled what the viewer is doing during launch (app
start to login screen display) and login (while the progress bar is showing)
to make sure that regressions haven't been introduced, and see what could be
optimized?

Joshua