[opensource-dev] Third Party Plug-ins?

Rob Nelson nexisentertainment at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 18:29:40 PDT 2010

  Lua's been implemented in a TPV successfully, meaning client-side
scripting is definitely possible.  The only problem is that the viewer
was never intended to have a scripting engine built-in, so lots of
hacking on the backend to expose useful methods to the scripting engine
is required.  The threading is also a mess right now.

Another consideration is what restrictions LL will want on these
plugins.  I've already gone ahead and assumed that LL doesn't want
scripts to have raw access to the messaging system, to avoid having
malicious plugins sending disruptive or dangerous packets to the
network.  I've also placed a policy on viewer development where access
to economic functions must be approved by the user (via a warning dialog
or a settings checkbox), and TPV policies (such as checking for creator
permissions before accessing an object) have also been implemented.

Rob Nelson
Luna Viewer