[opensource-dev] 2.0 Absolute Dealbreaker - script count feature request

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Wed Sep 29 16:59:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Brian McGroarty <soft at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>

>> * In my mind the biggest issue is that mono scripts will appear 4x worse
>> than LSL scripts. This is really the reason I am hesitant to push a function
>> like this through before we have the ability for mono scripts to better
>> reflect how much memory they may use. We need more development time for any
>> solution on that front. Right now because a mono script could use 64k, that
>> is the only number we have available to count. Maybe it would be nice to
>> have an API to access number of scripts, number of LSL vs. Mono scripts,
>> amount of memory used and script time used. However we rapidly get away from
>> my desired philosophy of minimal interfaces.
>

> The vast majority of scripts are tiny utility things, and are only compiled
> as mono because that became the default a year or so back. In reality, the
> typical script is probably using much less than 16k.
>
> What about using 16k for both LSL and Mono until real Mono values and
> controls can be added later? This is probably closer to real memory use than
> the sum of maximums would be.
>
> --
> Brian McGroarty | Linden Lab
> Sent from my Newton MP2100 via acoustic coupler

Straying away from reporting as "real" of numbers as we can is a slippery
slope I am a bit wary of, yet all options at this point stray from reality
in some manner.

* 64k for Mono doesn't reflect what the script is actually using or what its
peak was, but does report the highest potential usage.
* Current Used doesn't reflect that the script could use much more and you
may have just caught it in a lull.
* Max Used still doesn't reflect what it is currently using or what it could
potentially use.
* 16k seems practically random and unrelated to the script in question at
all.
* 10k means that in aggregate over hundreds or thousands of scripts it is
probably pretty accurate. However it doesn't tell you anything about the
particular script in question.

Now, if we allowed mono scripts to set their own memory cap then I think we
have the best compromise of currently used / max used / potential used. If
that is the best future, I think it probably makes the most sense to stick
with reporting the cap now, even if it isn't configurable yet and isn't the
most ideal number at this time. Then things will continue to "just work" as
we move forward.

 - Kelly