[opensource-dev] OpenID based logins?

Yoz Grahame yoz at lindenlab.com
Thu Apr 21 16:34:52 PDT 2011

We've long thought about something like this, but it's currently low on the
priority list.

For it to be really useful, it needs to work for viewer login; however,
*that* needs web-triggered viewer login (as in, your authentication happens
in an external browser window first, and then the viewer logs you straight
in) otherwise you're forced to auth with your OpenID OP in the viewer
window, and that's the classic Password Anti-Pattern*.

Also, *if* we ever do this, we'd probably target Google and Facebook login
first, though I *think* that Google Auth uses OpenID so we might get
everything in one shot. (There's a multiple-orders-of-magnitude difference
between those who'd use Google/Facebook auth and those who even know what
OpenID is)

In principle, I know of no reason why we wouldn't want this. We use OpenID
and OAuth in various places already, and anything that makes it easier for
people to authenticate securely is a Good Thing. However, we need to be
convinced that there are major wins here before it can pushed up in the
priorities.

*
http://www.designingsocialinterfaces.com/patterns/The_Password_Anti-Pattern